Optlink is on github

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Fri Mar 8 02:38:32 PST 2013

On 08.03.2013 08:25, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
> On Friday, 8 March 2013 at 07:17:24 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 3/7/2013 8:16 PM, Brad Roberts wrote:
>>> Personally, even though I don't use win32, I believe that moving it
>>> over to use the VS toolchain and runtime is the
>>> right path forward.
>>
>> I like being able to provide a completely free D toolchain for win32.
>
> The express edition of Visual Studio should be enough to provide e.g.
> the linker.
> http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/downloads#d-express-windows-desktop
>
> It is free. However you do need to register after 30 days.

There are also C++ compiler and linker in the Windows 7 SDK that you can
download and install without registering
(http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8442).

It might be fun, but I think that building your own COFF capable linker
will be a huge undertaking if you want to link against C/C++ code built
with the MS compiler without stripping a whole lot of information (debug
information, FPO records, etc).