std.stream replacement

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 8 08:14:23 PST 2013

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 20:52:49 -0500, BLM768 <blm768 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ultimately, I think that the differences between our designs boil down
> to having a more monolithic stream interface with an internal stream
> source or having a lighter-weight but more ad-hoc stream interface with
> an external and more exposed stream source. At this point, I'd probably
> be happy with either as long as they have equivalent functionality.

One thing to remember is that streams need to be runtime swappable.  For
instance, I should be able to replace stdout with a stream of my choice.

This isn't possible if we only use compile-time API (i.e. templates).  But
that doesn't preclude us from having templates and ranges on TOP of those
streams.

When it is all finished, I think it won't be that bad to use.

-Steve