Optlink is on github

Rikki Cattermole alphaglosined at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 15:45:48 PST 2013

On Friday, 8 March 2013 at 13:02:06 UTC, Jakob Ovrum wrote:
> On Friday, 8 March 2013 at 05:29:14 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
>> I've actually modified dmd's frontend to support using the VS
>> tool chain for linking 32 bit executables. But I didn't
>> understand the backend to seperate the 32bit binary generation
>> vs 64bit. I believe it shouldn't be too much. But I really
>> don't understand it so if anyone is willing to help on this.
>> I haven't broken 64bit generation as far as I know. Because I
>> added a cli argument (-msvc) which is enabled for -m64
>> automatically on Windows.
>
> I'd love to have an option like that. Win32 is at the very
> least going to be a target for many years to come (for some
> also a development platform) and the OPTLINK/OMF business is a
> real impediment.

Personally I think of it as a barrier for adoption. A real BIG
one for casual devs, which is what we need to grow. It also
limits us from getting it into e.g. high schools. Which may at
best be using core 2 duo's. Hence why I started working on it.
Got so sick of not having it.
Just wish my knowledge extended to how the backend worked because
then I could have finished this weeks ago.