Optlink is on github

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Fri Mar 8 23:29:26 PST 2013

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 19:41:10 -0800
Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> I don't want to discourage people from trying to come up with a
> replacement linker for win32 written in D. I think that is a great
> project. But while a linker is a conceptually simple program, the
> awful file formats involved make it unnecessarily difficult and there
> are simply a lot of details and other things one has to do.
>
> Like I said before, it'll take a sustained and determined effort to
> come up with a viable replacement for optlink.

Interesting thing about this, is that if/when we did have this "new
linker" as discussed (including separation of individual object file
formats) is that we could also add in our own object file format
designed (and proven via a good test suite) to be much less quirky and
badly documented. Or, you know, not quirky and not badly
documented ;) Thus, at the very least, opening a door for others to
migrate, and potentially/finally/eventually get rid of the crufty
current formats. I mean, like you said, linkers are very simple
conceptually. So if they *can* be so simple, why should everyone have
to continue to stay stuck with a crappy one?

Just my random thoughts on it anyway.