C++ guys hate static_if?

Era Scarecrow rtcvb32 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 8 23:57:55 PST 2013

On Saturday, 9 March 2013 at 03:50:29 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 3/8/2013 5:19 PM, Brad Anderson wrote:
>> On Saturday, 9 March 2013 at 00:48:59 UTC,
>> DypthroposTheImposter wrote:
>>> Are they full of it? Has it caused the problems they mention
>>> in D?
>>
>> Well, the two guys with an alternative proposal
>> (concepts-lite) seem to hate static if (along with a third
>> Guy).
>>
>> There seems to be a lot of strawman arguments in this paper.
>
> Many of the criticisms in the paper are addressed by our
> positive experience with static if in D.

  Since C++ is so deeply etched with C's previous limitations and
problems, it also got the preprocessor, which when you think
about it does the same thing (until you've actually used it); Now
you've got preprocessor #ifdef's mixed with compile time
execution determining what should and shouldn't be compiled, it
is a very messy pile of crud.

  Even IF static_if gets working and accepted in C++, it's core
requirement to be 100% backwards compatible with all previous
code ensures it's growth will forever be hampered.

  Maybe if they could get their template system fixed (which will
never happen) then static_if would work much better.

  God I hate C++.