std.stream replacement

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Sun Mar 10 08:48:14 PDT 2013

Am Sat, 09 Mar 2013 16:30:24 +0000
schrieb Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 at yahoo.com>:

> Yes, random-access file I/O is another thing.  I was thinking primarily
> of cases where you want to just read the file through and process it
> while doing so.  I imagine that most word processors, graphics editors,
> etc. will read the file and then generate the file afresh when you save,
> rather than just writing the changes to the file.
>
> And then there are web browsers, which read files of various types both
> from the user's local file storage and over an HTTP connection.
>
> Stewart.

For most binary formats you need to deal with endianness for
short/int/long and blocks of either fixed size or with two
versions (e.g. a revised extended bitmap header) or
alltogether dynamic size. Some formats may also reading the
last bytes first, like ID3 tags in MP3s. And then there are
compressed formats with data types of < 8 bits or dynamic bit
allocations.

It's all obvious, but I had a feeling your use cases are too
restricted. Anyways I no longer know what the discrimination
between std.io and std.streams will be.

--
Marco