The new std.process is ready for review

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Sun Mar 10 10:03:20 PDT 2013

Am Sun, 10 Mar 2013 17:07:26 +0100
schrieb "Vladimir Panteleev" <vladimir at thecybershadow.net>:

> I think the idea is that if you rely on such platform-specific
> behavior, you probably shouldn't be using std.process in the
> first place - as its goal is to provide high-level cross-platform
> abstractions for the most common operations, rather than try to
> cover all features exposed by all operating system APIs.

Not necessarily. Why do you have to deal with this stuff in
std.process in the first place? Because during development of
the sockets and file APIs in Phobos noone thought about this
issue. It should be a Phobos convention that descriptors are
closed on exec by default and changed in the few places where
sockets and files are created.

Someone who uses Posix APIs directly can thus rely on their
behavior and std.process can stay ignorant to this platform
difference and avoid ugly hacks.

--
Marco