C++ guys hate static_if?

SomeDude lovelydear at mailmetrash.com
Sun Mar 10 15:49:52 PDT 2013

On Saturday, 9 March 2013 at 14:09:39 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 3/8/13 7:48 PM, DypthroposTheImposter wrote:
>> See the static_if paper here:
>>
>> http://isocpp.org/forums
>>
>> Under the post "constraints and static if" there is a link to a
>> document about
>> static_if
>>
>> https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=forums&srcid=MDIyMDc3NjUwMTczOTM0Mjk3NjABMDI2MzM3MjkxNDM4NDQ5MzE4NDcBLWVsS1Y4dFhtdDhKATUBaXNvY3BwLm9yZwF2Mg
>>

>> Are they full of it? Has it caused the problems they mention
>> in
>> D?
>
> Wow. That's quite out of character for Bjarne. I think it's
> quite a poor piece.
>
> Andrei

Indeed, from the start, it doesn't seem to give a fair assessment
of the value of the feature.
As for rejecting your proposal, don't take it too personnally. In
the contrary, the inclusion of static if would have been the
single reason for C++ users not to migrate en masse to D. Think
that there won't be a good solution for C++ before another 20
years. By the time it is proposed, this is a good opportunity for
D to mature and conquer hearts.