D benchmarks

David Nadlinger see at klickverbot.at
Sun Mar 10 16:36:25 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I am currently finalizing my material for the LDC DConf talk, and
I thought it would be nice to include a quick runtime performance
comparison between the different compilers, just to give the
audience a general sense of what to expect.

Thus, I am looking for benchmarks to use in the talk.
Specifically, they should:

  - be open source, or at least source-available, so other people
can reproduce the results
  - be *reasonably* self-contained, so that I don't have to spend
three hours setting up build dependencies
  - be written mostly in D, I don't want to benchmark GCC
  - work with DMD 2.061 or DMD 2.062
  - run on Linux or OS X

I already have a few results (Dmitry's std.regex and std.uni
benchmarks, WebDrake's Dregs, some of my own projects, …), but it
would be great if some of you could point me to your own set of
tests so I can hopefully paint a more complete picture.

There is a host of results if you search for »benchmark« here on
the forums, but many of the discussed test cases are trivial
micro-benchmarks, and I was hoping to add a few more elaborate
performance tests to my collection.

In the future – i.e. as soon as possible, but somebody has to
actually spend some time on setting things up –, we might also
want to set up a nightly tester with such benchmarks to track
performance of the different compilers over time. It's not as
crucial for GDC and LDC as it is for the upstream backend
projects, but there are still quite a few things to watch out for
in druntime/Phobos and the LDC LLVM optimizations specific to D.

David

P.S.: Juan Manuel Cabo's "avgtime" is a really, _really_ useful
tool for benchmarking whole programs and actually getting solid
statistics out of it. Let's add something similar as a library
for more finely-grained use!