I'd just like to say thanks for D

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Mar 10 17:58:01 PDT 2013

On Monday, March 11, 2013 01:47:34 Rob T wrote:
> On Sunday, 10 March 2013 at 10:33:10 UTC, Gor Gyolchanyan wrote:
> > In order to survive, one must become necessary for others. In
> > case of D,
> > all it takes to become irreplaceable is to have a bunch of
> > libraries in D,
> > that have no alternatives in other languages. Perhaps the
> > uniqueness is not
> > in what those libraries would do, but in how would those
> > libraries do it. I
> > believe the revamping of D's compile-time reflection that
> > Andrei talked
> > about some time ago is extremely important, because that would
> > allow
> > writing truly irreplaceable libraries.
>
> A good start is to support a particular industry that no one else
> is currently catering to in enough detail. If we could figure out
> who is using D commercially to try and figure out what is seen as
> being the main strengths, then the language and its libraries
> could be strengthen further in those areas.
>
> I will suggest that a great way to get that information is
> through a user survey, where users can specify what they like or
> dislike, what their main use cases are, what industry they use D
> in, and so forth.

Well, it seems like the game industry might be the place where we could hit it
big given the interest that some of those guys have in D, and there's a game
company that Walter's been supporting by working on some of the features that
they need in order to write their next game in D. But the game industry also
seems to be the sort of industry that rolls a lot of its own stuff given their
rather insane performance requirements and whatnot. If we could better support
them, that would be great, but I have no clue what kinds of libraries they
would actually be looking to use, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if the
sort of stuff that they would use is stuff that pretty much no one else would
have any interest in.

- Jonathan M Davis