I'd just like to say thanks for D

Rob T alanb at ucora.com
Sun Mar 10 19:41:42 PDT 2013

On Monday, 11 March 2013 at 00:58:22 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> Well, it seems like the game industry might be the place where
> we could hit it
> big given the interest that some of those guys have in D, and
> there's a game
> company that Walter's been supporting by working on some of the
> features that
> they need in order to write their next game in D. But the game
> industry also
> seems to be the sort of industry that rolls a lot of its own
> stuff given their
> rather insane performance requirements and whatnot. If we could
> better support
> them, that would be great, but I have no clue what kinds of
> libraries they
> would actually be looking to use, and it wouldn't surprise me
> at all if the
> sort of stuff that they would use is stuff that pretty much no
> one else would
> have any interest in.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

The half-float type comes to mind, I think that one may be
reusable for game devs.

Yes, they do need insane performance, but even if a library
implementation is a bit slower, it can still be used for rapid
prototyping and optimized later with a roll your own if not fast
enough. I've done that in C++ using the std lib, later replacing
what was too slow or used too much memory with a hand crafted
version.

No point guessing though, the users will have to indicate what
they need.

--rt