I'd just like to say thanks for D

FG home at fgda.pl
Mon Mar 11 02:30:04 PDT 2013

On 2013-03-11 06:22, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>    And now it's 2013 and g++ is still defaulting to the *old* C++?!

I don't mind having to add -std=c++11 as much as dealing with its incomplete
implementation. Still have to use the pcre library for regular expressions.
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/manual/status.html#status.iso.200x
Waiting gets me nervous, so in the mean time I'll rather write more D.

> - And then another roadblock: the compiler says, "hey, buddy, std::hash
>    hasn't been specialized for cache_key_type yet, so it doesn't know how
>    to compute the hash value of the key, and so I can't instantiate that
>    template for you!".

Oh, yes, been through this. Why is there no hash function for const char*?
The second thing is that not everything has a string representation that can be
output on screen without doing extra processing. to_string just barely started
working in newest MinGW. If you don't have that available and ask for a
different but still _simple_ way to convert a number to string, you are shown
the good old stream code:

     std::stringstream ss; ss << number; out = ss.str();

Seriously? If I could at least chain that...

     out = std::stringstream(number).str();

Unfortunately, no. So I end up adding my own functions in every project for many
trivial tasks, which should be doable out-of-the-box with minimal effort. Yep,
to_string helps, but C++11 and its complete support are coming much too late.
Therefore, being quite impatient, I'd also like to say thanks for D. :)