About structs and performant handling

Namespace rswhite4 at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 12 01:21:49 PDT 2013

I also think that we do not need 'inline' or 'register'.
Nowadays, compilers can really assess the situation much better
than we do.

> I don't see any reason to not allow the compiler to do so and
> create copy on a per needed basis, by optimizing pass-by value
> into pass-by-reference when it can prove it doesn't change the
> semantic (see my thread on the topic, but modify it to apply
> the restriction to anything possibly aliased).
>
> For the same reason as inline and register, I do think the
> default behavior is to let the compiler choose what is the bast
> as long as it doesn't change the final behavior.

I know your thread, I was one of the most active there. And I
liked the idea, provided such parameters must be still manually
denoted.
And if such parameters are also denoted with 'in' or 'const
scope', I see no way that they could be manipulated.
I was hoping that Andrei and Walter could say something about the
topic. I like to see something like that and it would solve the
'rvalue ref' problem also.