The new std.process is ready for review

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Tue Mar 12 08:02:45 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 12 March 2013 at 13:56:28 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
>> OK, but it will still solve the specific problem with the
>> other end being open.
>
> Yes it does.  I'd rather solve both, though.

OK. The idea to close all FDs after forking seems to be the best
solution so far, although I have some reservations (scaling for
high max-FD environments, and it doesn't sound like "the right
thing to do"). I was thinking that we could implement both
approaches (closing all FDs after forking, and setting FD_CLOEXEC
where appropriate), as an escape hatch: if later we suddenly find
out that one of them was a horrible idea, we can simply remove it
without much consequence.