ddoc should generate hyperlinks to source code

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Tue Mar 12 22:56:30 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 13 March 2013 at 03:47:10 UTC, timotheecour wrote:
> The hyperlink target should be customizable, either a url (eg:
> github, making sure it's retrieving the proper commit id so
> that code is in sync with ddoc), or local file system for users.

In order to link to the local file system, the distribution needs
to contain HTML-rendered source code. There is no convention for
linking to a specific place in a text file.

I think including .html versions of all Phobos source code is not
worth it for the links alone. However, it would be nice if there
was a HTML version of the source code, which contained links to
each identifier's definitions wherever they appear, such as the
LXR project: See e.g.
http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v3.8.2/kernel/acct.c

For for GitHub links, the makefile could create a .ddoc inclusion
file which defines the URL base (pointing to GitHub, to the
current commit), for the compiler to use when generating the
links in the documentation.