Migrating dmd to D?

Zach the Mystic reachzach at gggggmail.com
Wed Mar 13 22:46:26 PDT 2013

On Monday, 11 March 2013 at 15:23:17 UTC, Daniel Murphy wrote:
> Umm...
>
> C++ compiler source -> my tool -> D source
> D source -> normal dmd -> self-host dmd
> D source -> self-host dmd -> no problems, but only the frontend
> so no code
> generation
> tool source -> self-host dmd -> same thing

This is great. I'm still trying to invent the wheel, and you're
driving a sports car. I've been trying to develop a general
purpose text-to-text translation program, but it may be just
something I need to do for myself - I need to learn this stuff,
but your progress is really encouraging.

Are there any blind spots to your approach right now? It looks
like you're destined to get this whole thing covered. I was
wondering your thoughts on some of the more sophisticated
operations, like converted all of dmd/root to built-in D,
OutBuffer -> Appender!string, standard C/C++ libraries (malloc,
strcmp, const char* -> string, etc.)? Are these things within
grasp, given the incentive and enough time, or farther away than
what you've got right now?