C++ guys hate static_if?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Mar 14 09:32:25 PDT 2013

Andrei Alexandrescu:

> I'm not sure about that. The way I see it, no code should be
> not delivered without being unittested. Ubiquitous unittesting
> is now mainstream. The way I see it, a type system on top of
> templates would only help people who don't write unittests.

This is an invalid argument. You can say the same thing for many
(most?) tests done by the compiler. Unit tests can't be sure to
verify all code paths inside a function or template. But the
tests done by the compiler discussed here are like a type system,
that verifies all (or most) code paths at once.

Bye,
bearophile