C++ guys hate static_if?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Mar 14 12:04:59 PDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 02:54:17PM -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 3/14/13 2:07 PM, Dicebot wrote:
> >On Thursday, 14 March 2013 at 17:51:23 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> >>If you found a few, that would be great. I don't think you'll have
> >>an easy time.
> >>
> >>Andrei
> >
> >In other comment I have mentioned a case I have fixed just 15 days
> >ago: https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/1182 100%
> >line coverage, compile-time error for certain type parameter subset.
> >Could have been found by compiler / clever-enough framework.
> >
> >That was easy.
>
> 1 < a few
[...]

I found (and fixed!) a number of missed combinations in std.algorithm:
transient ranges, joiner() not using .save on forward ranges, same bug
in transposed(), transposed crashing on jagged range of ranges, etc..

Given that some of this code is rather old before I touched them, I'm
forced to believe that many more such bugs lurk in Phobos that nobody
has found yet. Or they found it but just evaded it by rewriting some
user code -- I've found myself doing that on several occasions, because
I was trying to get my own code done and didn't want to spend another 4
hours' digression to find where the bug in Phobos is. Sometimes I don't
even file bugs because it takes time to reduce the test case and it's
distracting from the task at hand.

So no, it's not just 1. They are there, and there are more than 1 of
them, if you'd only look. I don't think denying this is helpful to
improving Phobos' quality.

Without geometry, life would be pointless. -- VS