C++ guys hate static_if?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Mar 14 12:18:56 PDT 2013

On 3/14/13 3:04 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> I found (and fixed!) a number of missed combinations in std.algorithm:
> transient ranges, joiner() not using .save on forward ranges, same bug
> in transposed(), transposed crashing on jagged range of ranges, etc..

I think you're right but only in part; there may be a bit of a
confusion. There's pure semantic checking such as forgetting to use
.save that can't be detected statically. Then there's code that e.g.
should work for forward ranges but has only been tested with arrays.

My question was referring to code that has sheer typos that are
mechanically detected, which are present in code that has never ever
been instantiated. I do recall we found a few, but I think that
illustrates a problem with the process, not the language.

Andrei