The new std.process is ready for review

Lars T. Kyllingstad public at kyllingen.net
Thu Mar 14 23:40:55 PDT 2013

On Friday, 15 March 2013 at 00:36:59 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:
> Am Thu, 14 Mar 2013 22:51:36 +0100
> schrieb "Lars T. Kyllingstad" <public at kyllingen.net>:
>
>> Now that the big pieces are seemingly falling into place, it
>> is probably time for bikeshedding.  I was thinking clearEnv or
>> newEnv, but ignoreParentEnv is perhaps more explicit.
>
> I think clearEnv is pretty clear already. Someone should put
> up an online poll for that.

Bikeshedding, yes, but I don't think we've quite reached the
point where we need polls yet. :)

>> dontDoTheCloseThing became inheritFDs, btw. :)  Also open for
>> suggestions on that one.
>
> Looks like a mix of Windows and Unix terminology. :)
> closeHandlesOnExec anyone? Am I right assuming that on Windows
> it will just not set the bInheritHandles flag?

You are not entirely right.  The flag is used only by POSIX code,
and causes spawnProcess() to *not* close all open file
descriptors.  On Windows, inheritFDs has no effect whatsoever.

closeHandlesOnExec looks even more like a mix to me. I can't
recall ever seeing the word "handle" used in *NIX documentation.
"File descriptor" is used pretty consistently.  I also tried to
avoid using the words "close on exec" in the name, because I
didn't want users to think this has anything to do with the
FD_CLOEXEC flag.

Lars