Migrating dmd to D?

Daniel Murphy yebblies at nospamgmail.com
Sat Mar 16 00:11:19 PDT 2013

"Zach the Mystic" <reachzach at gggggmail.com> wrote in message
news:ybbtwnbvxhjcpgbnaoaq at forum.dlang.org...
> On Monday, 11 March 2013 at 15:23:17 UTC, Daniel Murphy wrote:
>> Umm...
>>
>> C++ compiler source -> my tool -> D source
>> D source -> normal dmd -> self-host dmd
>> D source -> self-host dmd -> no problems, but only the frontend so no
>> code
>> generation
>> tool source -> self-host dmd -> same thing
>
> This is great. I'm still trying to invent the wheel, and you're driving a
> sports car. I've been trying to develop a general purpose text-to-text
> translation program, but it may be just something I need to do for
> myself - I need to learn this stuff, but your progress is really
> encouraging.

I did have a couple years head start.

> Are there any blind spots to your approach right now? It looks like you're
> destined to get this whole thing covered. I was wondering your thoughts on
> some of the more sophisticated operations, like converted all of dmd/root
> to built-in D, OutBuffer -> Appender!string, standard C/C++ libraries
> (malloc, strcmp, const char* -> string, etc.)? Are these things within
> grasp, given the incentive and enough time, or farther away than what
> you've got right now?

Most of these are possible, some harder than others.  I'd rather do as
little as possible refactoring now, and leave that until after it's all in
D.

What I'm up to now is the glue layer needs to be linked into the D code, and
for this extern(C++) needs to be upgraded a bit.