Additional Binary Operators

Tony askme at nospam.net
Sun Mar 17 23:22:16 PDT 2013

In article <kgr8ub$1nc7$1 at digitalmars.com>, acehreli at yahoo.com says...

> On 03/01/2013 01:51 PM, Paul D. Anderson wrote:
>
>  > In UTF-8 the "middle dot", ('•', \u00B7) and
>  > "multiplication sign", ('×', \u00D7)
>
> [...]
>
>  > UTF-16 has many more mathematical symbols
>
> Sorry to pick on this unrelated issue but UTF-8 and UTF-16 are just
> Unicode encodings. Unicode itself defines all of those characters and
> they can all be represented in any encoding.
>
> Ali

Unicode is indeed an encoding. Same for ASCII, EBCDIC, ISO 8859-X, FIELDATA,
etc. The clue is in the name and term: UniCODE and enCODEing. The CODEs are
unique numbers associated with each character. UTF-Xs are transformation
formats. While it is not strictly incorrect to call the UTFs encodings, it is
probably best avoided for better clarity. The use of the word "encoding" to mean
"coded character set" goes way back. Unicode, of course, has some very specific
and extensive, if not confusing, terminology and one should go there to get the
story straight from the horse's mouth, but I was just chiming in to to note that
"encoding" is short for "coded character set" and Unicdode is exactly that, at
it's core.