What's missing from Phobos for Orbit (package manager)

Simen Kjaeraas simen.kjaras at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 09:31:33 PDT 2013

On 2013-02-16, 15:42, Jacob Carlborg wrote:

> Well lucky you.

Please, relax. Trust me, we understand you feel miffed. Your attitude here
is hurting your case, and that's unnecessary.

> I haven't even got a proper review for Orange. I got some comments and
> feedback but no formal review.

In December 2011[1] there was a push for review, where you basically said
it's not ready yet, referring to a September post[2] asking for a
pre-review. Is this all activity there has been? This happened during
christmas, which might explain a lack of responses.

I understand you want to be sure it'll be included before you do the work
that's necessary for it to be included, but there's a bit of chicken-and-
egg here.

And trust me, we want to see serialization in Phobos. You're close. Have
faith (and that comes from an atheist :p).

> Saying something that I don't want to change anything is plain wrong. I
> got feedback that slices weren't properly deserialized and that it could
> be problems if the serializer was templated on the archive. That caused
> me to completely refactor the library, mostly internal.
>
> I also got the suggestion to allow to set a serializer for a type both
> for a given instance of the serializer and globally. This also got
> implemented.
>
> The only thing I haven't implemented that got suggested is support for
> versions. I haven't done that because I think that this doesn't need
> direct support because that can be handled by performing custom
> serialization of a type.
>
> The only thing that could have caused problem is that it also supports
> D1/Tango. But I have said from day one that if it gets accepted I will
> remove any traces of D1 and Tango. Most of the code is completely
> independent of D1/Tango and the code which has dependencies is very
> local that has nothing to do with the actual design of the serializer.

So it's ready for a review now, not just a pre-review? Then tell us.
Get a review manager to read through it. Badger him to post it for review.
Yup, it's more work than sitting around hoping it will happen, but it has
a much higher chance of success.

[1]: http://forum.dlang.org/thread/j62f5p$1h07$1@digitalmars.com
[2]:
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/irscfdwwkapwghfouhom@dfeed.kimsufi.thecybershadow.net