D for the JVM

Simen Kjaeraas simen.kjaras at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 09:32:30 PDT 2013

On 2013-02-26, 23:00, OlliP wrote:

> I'm quite serious here, no joking ... Make a version of D for the JVM
> and it'll be a big success for the language and a business case at the
> same time. So many Java developers are meanwhile really not amused
> anymore about the slow language development of Java. Even C# is ways
> ahead of Java and does not have to carry problems from earlier premature
> decisions. The success of Scala, Groovy and JetBrains seeing a business
> case for Kotlin comes for a reason.

I'm not entirely sure if that'd even be possible - some features of D
might be impossible to do on the JVM (uints and the like come to mind,
other examples probably exist. Not sure if workarounds exist).

A bigger problem in the short term is finding someone to do this. Walter
is kinda busy with DMD, while LDC and GDC have rather limited teams mostly
just playing catch up with DMD. If you want to do it, go ahead. It's sure
to be a challenging and interesting project.

--
Simen