Can we get rid of non-raw write?

Graham Fawcett fawcett at uwindsor.ca
Wed Mar 20 15:00:18 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 20 March 2013 at 21:33:48 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 10:20:08PM +0100, Graham Fawcett wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 20 March 2013 at 14:34:21 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
>> wrote:
>> >Since *at least* as far back as XP, Windows has handled "\n"
>> >newlines
>> >perfectly fine. The command line displays them properly, .BAT
>> >scripts
>> >handle them properly, every code editor in existence handles
>> >them
>> >properly. The *only* thing I've found that doesn't is Windows
>> >Notepad, but really, whoTF uses that anyway?  ....
>> >
>> >Can we please get rid of this "text-mode output"? Or at least
>> >eliminate it as the default?
>>
>> +1. Leave an option in their for "ancient Windows support" if
>> necessary, but take it out as the default.
> [...]
>
> What about MacOS?

Is anyone still using MacOS earlier than version 10 (OSX)? Mac OS
9 was discontinued in 2002.

On OSX, there's certainly no problem with Unix line endings. But
I guess if we include "ancient Windows support" as an option,
then "ancient Mac support" should in be there too.

But writeln/writefln should emit '\n' as a line terminator, by
default, on all platforms. Ancient terminators should be always
opt-in, regardless of platform.

Graham