Online D course on coursera/udacity/etc?

Alan geouke at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 18:52:37 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 19 March 2013 at 01:52:35 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Online courses are becoming quite popular. A D course on one of
> the up-and-coming online course sites would be great. If anyone
> would want to do such a course (e.g. derived from TDPL), chime
> in here with ideas.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

I personally do not learn very well from video courses (which is
not true of everyone). I will say generally though that I would
agree with the movement to provide more D tutorials with examples.

I really wanted to use GtkD for example (I know it is an
extension for the language, not part of it), but the only
tutorials I could find with good examples were for C, C++, C#,
Python, etc. For someone like me who does not have much
experience writing a GUI, learning from the core documentation is
like feeling around in the dark.

Another example would be a tutorial on using D for numerical or
scientific computing. Fortran, Python, C, and C++ all have great
tutorials with examples of elegant numerical code written by
talented programmers. I primarily do numerical work in Fortran
and Python. I do not use C because it can be overly complicated
to do certain things and I do not use C++ because writing in it
feels like walking through a messy room and tripping over
misplaced objects. I appreciate that D seems to solve both of
these issues. I would be happy to generate some numerical
examples in D as best I could if someone out there would use them.

My suggestion would be more text-tutorials with plenty of
examples aimed towards niche programmers.

Alan