D with experimental features like tuple unpacking

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 07:56:49 PDT 2013

22-Mar-2013 17:41, renoX пишет:
>> The fact that you sort of can't easily index tuple of 3 ints as a
>> fixed array of 3 ints is a clear indication of a tendency that I find
>> disturbing.
>
> But there is a reason for this: tuple/structs can contain heterogeneous
> type whereas array contains only homogeneous type..

Surely I know this don't you think ? ;)

> So if you want to index a tuple/struct of say {int,int[128]} you have to
> build an array of pointers to these index, possible but clearly not free..

This example is trivially done with single point provided you know the
layout/padding. There are ways to peek at that in D too.

In general yes, heterogeneous is what makes structs and tuples standout.

> So I wouldn't agree that tuple/struct are 'trivially substitutable' to
> array..

In the case of exactly the same data layout they do. Plenty of cases are
like this e. g.  2-d, 3-d points being structs. These could be treated
as arrays easily.

Otherwise it is a good idea to not try to when it doesn't make sense.

--
Dmitry Olshansky