D => asm.js for the web?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri Mar 22 19:53:56 PDT 2013

Adam D. Ruppe:

> If it compiles to any kind of javascript it is a mistake to
> think they'll be a performance boost over just writing
> javascript, with or without annotations.

The Box3D compiled by Emscripten from C++ code is faster than
other translations of Box3D to JavaScript written by more
traditional means. Probably because the code produced by
Emscripten is very un-idiomatic JS, hard to write manually.

And here we are talking about a version of Emscripten that
targets asm.js, that a new JIT of Firefox Nightly digests better.

Bye,
bearophile