D => asm.js for the web?

Dan dbdavidson at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 23 05:37:49 PDT 2013

On Saturday, 23 March 2013 at 02:39:55 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> So there is no way translating from language X to language Y
> will be
> faster than writing in language Y in the first place, no matter
> how good
> your optimizer is. Otherwise, you might as well just write in
> language Y
> to begin with, and run the optimizer on *that*.

Too strong of a statement, especially since focus is only
strength of optimizer and not also caliber of developers. There
is huge benefit and it is one of the big selling points of Dart.
You write in a familiar OOP language with great toolset and out
comes working javascript. I don't know javascript - I've started
to learn a few times but was repelled by it. But most traditional
OO programmers can grok Dart in a few days, plus it has great
tools. If D could do the same it would be great.

Thanks,
Dan