Google Summer of Code 2013(?)

David Nadlinger see at klickverbot.at
Sun Mar 24 08:25:40 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 24 March 2013 at 14:48:30 UTC, alex wrote:
> I've just read that there are only 5 days remaining for
> organization applications
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2013
>
> Will Digitalmars do it a further year? Or are there too many
> resources spent on managing DConf?

I was meaning to write this post myself right now:

In my opinion, we can't afford to miss the chance to participate
in the Summer of Code for a third time. For this to be possible,
though, we ned to throw together an application, and pronto.

Also, as far as I can see, in both of the previous two years, the
work by one student was not actually incorporated into the
upstream projects or made available in an easily usable way:
Cristi Cobzarenco's SciD work from 2011) and Antti-Ville
Tuunainen's garbage collector improvements from last year. (Note
aside: It seems like in both of the cases, David Simcha was the
mentor, but this could just be a coincidence.)

We need to quickly come up with and commit to a strategy to make
sure this does not happen again. Otherwise, this will look very
bad on an application for this year.

David