Google Summer of Code 2013(?)

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 09:01:41 PDT 2013

24-Mar-2013 19:25, David Nadlinger пишет:
> On Sunday, 24 March 2013 at 14:48:30 UTC, alex wrote:
>> I've just read that there are only 5 days remaining for organization
>> applications
>> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2013
>>
>> Will Digitalmars do it a further year? Or are there too many resources
>> spent on managing DConf?
>
> I was meaning to write this post myself right now:
>
> In my opinion, we can't afford to miss the chance to participate in the
> Summer of Code for a third time. For this to be possible, though, we ned
> to throw together an application, and pronto.

Sure, and AFAICT for that to happen we need at least an ideas page.
Shouldn't be hard to put together.
For one idea I'd love to see more D support in embedded/ARM world e.g.
an easy to use STM32 quick-start package would be nice.

> Also, as far as I can see, in both of the previous two years, the work
> by one student was not actually incorporated into the upstream projects
> or made available in an easily usable way: Cristi Cobzarenco's SciD work
> from 2011) and Antti-Ville Tuunainen's garbage collector improvements
> from last year. (Note aside: It seems like in both of the cases, David
> Simcha was the mentor, but this could just be a coincidence.)

It might be only my perception but one common case in both of these
projects is using the only recently available features (RTInfo hook) and
otherwise hitting rough places of compiler (e.g. defunct post-blit back
then).

That being said I think we (D GSoC-ers) can testify that overcoming D's
implementation limitations (~bugs) proves to take not a small amount of
time allocated for the project. But this year it should be easier, heh?

> We need to quickly come up with and commit to a strategy to make sure
> this does not happen again. Otherwise, this will look very bad on an
> application for this year.

Maybe focus on bite-sized deliverables?
Also maybe having explicitly listed minor/major goals, a plan-B in case
something doesn't work out etc.

--
Dmitry Olshansky