Different versions of same library with Deimos

Moritz Maxeiner moritz at ucworks.org
Mon Mar 25 19:31:25 PDT 2013

On Monday, 25 March 2013 at 12:50:49 UTC, Jens Mueller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> how is Deimos supposed to address different versions of a
> library?
> In the case at hand, I have a Deimos repository for LLVM 3.1.
> Now I want
> to add support for version 3.2. Should I create a different
> branch or
> just a tag?
>
> BTW I updated my documentation for creating Deimos repositories.
> http://jkm.github.com/d-programming-language.org/deimos.html
>
> Jens

We talked about that previously, but I'll say it here again for
reference: You could use version identifiers and CTFE (the way I
did with llvm-d). That way someone just has to download the
deimos project and doesn't have to worry about getting the right
branch every time he is on a different system. It also reduces
the amount of redundant code as most of the code across different
versions of the same library (for the C API anyway) will be the
same and if you find a bug you don't have to look at all the
other branches to see if it also needs to be fixed there.

Reading the rest of the posts here it doesn't seem like anyone
favours it particularily, though, which is a pity.

Moritz