Improve performance of -profile by factor of 10

Martin Nowak code at dawg.eu
Tue Mar 26 09:33:18 PDT 2013

On 03/26/2013 12:22 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Friday, 22 March 2013 at 22:39:56 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> A polling profiler would be more precise and efficient than an
> instrumenting profiler.

I don't see why we should switch the profiling method.
Using sampling profilers has a lot of benefits but also some drawbacks
and there are already a lot of them out there, e.g.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profiling_(computer_programming)#Statistical_profilers.
On unix you can use gprof which is as simple as passing "-pg" to the gcc
link command and calling gprof on the output data.