My thoughts & experiences with D so far, as a novice D coder

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Mar 27 13:22:00 PDT 2013

On 3/27/13 11:34 AM, Vidar Wahlberg wrote:
> I know I'm probably going to upset some people with this, bashing their
> favourite child and all, but I wanted to let you know the experience
> I've had with D so far, as a novice D coder with a heavy Java & light
> C++ background.
[snip]

We're very interested (and therefore grateful) in hearing experience
reports.

There have been a number of responses already so I'll just insert a
couple of brief points.

* The MSB I'm seeing for all of these grievances is that we must improve
our documentation.

* We used to have reference semantics for static arrays, it was a nightmare.

* As mentioned, "shared" is a last-resort, intentionally limited of
communicating between threads. We must improve our message passing
infrastructure (including documentation and examples). Definitely we
must finish all details of what shared means (and doesn't). This remains
largely an educational issue because people coming from share-intensive
language expect to use shared casually (much as seasoned C++ users
expected to use const casually; this particular issue has been largely
resolved).

* We need to have a battery of multidimensional array shapes along with
simple iteration and access primitives, at least for interfacing with
scientific libraries that define and expect such formats. I'm thinking
rectangular (generally hyperrectangular) matrices, triangular matrices,
sparse matrices, and band matrices.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Andrei