What is the current state of D for android development?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sat Mar 30 02:53:31 PDT 2013

On 30.03.2013 10:43, Dicebot wrote:
> I hate this decision, too, but in case you wander, initial rationale for
> restricting everything to VM was an attempt to fight device h/w
> fragmentization and avoid necessity to build different application
> versions for different devices.
>
> Failed attempt, obviously.
>
> Apple have never needed that though as they 100% control device hardware
> their OS runs on.

You can achieve this by bytecodes that get compiled on the fly at
installation time.

This is how Windows Phone 8 works, by using an offline compiler on
Windows Store to compile .NET to native code, thus you only install
native code, there is no JIT on the devices.

Or how Windows CE used platform neutral binaries, known as Common
Executable Format (CEF).

Nowadays I think the best way is a mixture of JIT + AOT, similar to what
functional programming languages offer.

--
Paulo