What is the current state of D for android development?

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sat Mar 30 08:46:53 PDT 2013

On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 10:53:31 +0100
Paulo Pinto <pjmlp at progtools.org> wrote:

> On 30.03.2013 10:43, Dicebot wrote:
> > I hate this decision, too, but in case you wander, initial
> > rationale for restricting everything to VM was an attempt to fight
> > device h/w fragmentization and avoid necessity to build different
> > application versions for different devices.
> >
> > Failed attempt, obviously.

Which begs the question, "Why haven't they noticed this and stopped
treating native as second-class?"

> > Apple have never needed that though as they 100% control device
> > hardware their OS runs on.
>
> You can achieve this by bytecodes that get compiled on the fly at
> installation time.
>
> This is how Windows Phone 8 works, by using an offline compiler on
> Windows Store to compile .NET to native code, thus you only install
> native code, there is no JIT on the devices.

Unless the bytecode is both comparable to LLVM and has an escape hatch
to include real pre-compiled binary data, then that still bugs me.

STill a huge improvement over Android, though. Well, except that the
user has to use Win8 ;)