DConf 2013 last talk

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri May 3 10:37:49 PDT 2013

On 5/3/13 12:38 AM, Peter Alexander wrote:
> On Thursday, 2 May 2013 at 23:59:48 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> I'll answer community questions in my last talk at DConf 2013, which
>> is about 24 hours from now. Please send yours here or on Twitter #dconf.
>
> 1. How do you plan to solve the const postblit problem? i.e. the problem
> that you cannot create a const copy of a struct since the postblit
> constructor cannot be run on non-mutable objects. Is the solution to
> introduce C++-style copy constructors?

Probably won't go to this level of detail. Depends on time.

> 2. What, in your opinion (and Walter's), are the top issues with D that
> are hindering uptake?

I will talk about our largest weaknesses.

> 3. What do you believe are D's biggest weaknesses that will likely
> remain unresolved by design? (*real* weaknesses, not just temporary
> shortcomings)

Fundamentally we're a compiled language building on C's memory bedrock.
That setup has innate strengths and weaknesses. Of course, we've added
our own blunders to all that and there are limitations to what you get
to express in D. But I see our largest problems solvable through design
(and one such design emerged at this conference).

Andrei