DConf 2013 last talk

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat May 4 19:39:37 PDT 2013

On Sunday, May 05, 2013 03:55:35 bearophile wrote:
> Jonathan M Davis:
> > So, it's
> > probably only a matter of time before we have a more precise
> > garbage collector
> > in druntime (which will seriously reduce the false pointers
> > problem, though I
> > can't remember if it completely eliminates it).
>
> Probably it doesn't use things like a shadow stack, so it doesn't
> trace stack pointers well. So probably it's not fully precise.

IIRC, it wasn't doing anything with the stack (though I could be wrong). The
main thing was that it had more type information so that it was able to scan
the heap more precisely. And though this wasn't part of Rainer's GC, an
interesting bonus that we might be able to get out of that extra type
information is improved finalization of structs on the heap.

- Jonathan M Davis