dtutor.org: a call to action

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun May 5 18:55:49 PDT 2013

On Sunday, May 05, 2013 20:55:29 Tyro[17] wrote:
> Which reminds me... how does one create
> a utf-8 encoded file at the shell prompt?

You'll need to be more specific about what you're trying to do. Are you talking
about from D or about running commands in the shell? And if you're talking
about the shell, the answer could depend on the type of shell.

In general, Phobos assumes that you're operating on UTF-8 files (or at least
UTF-8 compatible files). All of the file operations using string do UTF-8. You
have to use ubyte[] to be able to use other encodings. And we don't properly
deal with BOM stuff right now, which we need to fix at some point.

- Jonathan M Davis