D pullrequest review process rant

Benjamin Thaut code at benjamin-thaut.de
Wed May 8 07:56:28 PDT 2013

I recently got very disappointed by the review process of a pull request
I did on druntime:
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/druntime/pull/370

This is how it went:

1) First everyone nitpicked about code formatting
2) I fixed all the nitpicks which was quite some work.
3) Pull request stalls for a month.
4) Even more nitpicks.
5) Even more work.
6) Reviewers actually start thinking about the problem behind the pull
request.
7) Problem is not important enough, review request gets rejected.
8) All the work, including fixing nitpicks is wasted.

So what I'm trying to say is, that maybe a pull request should first be
analyzed if it is actually worth putting more work into it before
starting with the nitpicks. I don't know if the review process is
already defined somewhere, if not it might be worth doing so.

--
Kind Regards
Benjamin Thaut