D pullrequest review process rant

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Wed May 8 08:07:27 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 8 May 2013 at 14:56:23 UTC, Benjamin Thaut wrote:
> I recently got very disappointed by the review process of a
> pull request I did on druntime:
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/druntime/pull/370
>
> This is how it went:
>
> 1) First everyone nitpicked about code formatting
> 2) I fixed all the nitpicks which was quite some work.
> 3) Pull request stalls for a month.
> 4) Even more nitpicks.
> 5) Even more work.
> 6) Reviewers actually start thinking about the problem behind
> the pull request.
> 7) Problem is not important enough, review request gets
> rejected.
> 8) All the work, including fixing nitpicks is wasted.
>
> So what I'm trying to say is, that maybe a pull request should
> first be analyzed if it is actually worth putting more work
> into it before starting with the nitpicks. I don't know if the
> review process is already defined somewhere, if not it might be
> worth doing so.

nit is important.

When you read a lot of code, if the presentation is correct, it
disappear and the content become apparent. Otherwise, it is much
more work to get to the content.

Many project simply reject code that is not formatted properly.
Not kidding !

The solution is o provide a code formatter here, not to change
the review process.