D pullrequest review process rant

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Wed May 8 08:12:56 PDT 2013

On 05/08/2013 04:56 PM, Benjamin Thaut wrote:
> So what I'm trying to say is, that maybe a pull request should first be analyzed
> if it is actually worth putting more work into it before starting with the
> nitpicks. I don't know if the review process is already defined somewhere, if
> not it might be worth doing so.

I had a similar experience of code-style corrections arriving before deeper
review.  My impression was that this was because once you've taught the style to
a contributor once, you don't have to teach them again -- suffice to say that it
made later work easier because I knew what to do in order to avoid ever getting
those kind of nitpicks.  In other words we could concentrate _just_ on the
problem and not on the style.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, though, and I can see exactly why it would
be offputting.