D pullrequest review process rant

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu May 9 11:15:20 PDT 2013

On 5/8/2013 7:56 AM, Benjamin Thaut wrote:
> So what I'm trying to say is, that maybe a pull request should first be analyzed
> if it is actually worth putting more work into it before starting with the
> nitpicks. I don't know if the review process is already defined somewhere, if
> not it might be worth doing so.

For me, the fundamental issue with it was the design - use tagged variants or
virtual functions? I agree with you that without a decision on that, proceeding
with an implementation is not worth the effort.

BTW, one issue is nearing resolution. D will soon provide a dll for phobos for
Linux, and it is intended to migrate this to all platforms, which will resolve
the ODR problem.