DConf 2013 keynote

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Thu May 9 14:32:18 PDT 2013

On Thu, 09 May 2013 10:26:46 -0400
Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:

> > With all this focus on technicalities, we forgot to discuss the
> > gist of it: what did you guys think of the talk?
> >

> That should better go in the digitalmars.D group though...

Very good talk! And good production quality, too. This would be a
great thing to point people towards to introduce them to D.

And Walter does a good job on stage. *Never* comes across as
pretentious, or cocky or full-of-...various things...like *cough*a
certain former Apple leader*cough* always did. (Minor nit: Forgot to
mention Mono-D on the last question, though.)

I love the D-like line on the first slide. Kind of a strange API being
used ;), but quintessentially D syntax. Cute :) The "100 lines of
boilerplate" bit was great too. Made me cheer even though no one else
was around.

I don't know whether it's something still under wraps or if I just need
to wait for Manu's presentation video, but I'd love to hear about how
Remedy is, or is planning to, use D. I've complained on occasion about
some of the directions a lot of the game industry has been going, but
Remedy is one developer I've always respected (Max Payne is fantastic,
I have both of them, and I remember enjoying Death Rally back in
the day - anxious to try the new one, too.) Besides, how can anything
born out of Future Crew not be awesome? :)

Maybe I overlooked this somewhere on dconf.org, but just out of
curiosity, about how many attendees did the whole conference have?