D pullrequest review process rant

Benjamin Thaut code at benjamin-thaut.de
Thu May 9 22:10:09 PDT 2013

Am 09.05.2013 20:15, schrieb Walter Bright:
> On 5/8/2013 7:56 AM, Benjamin Thaut wrote:
>> So what I'm trying to say is, that maybe a pull request should first
>> be analyzed
>> if it is actually worth putting more work into it before starting with
>> the
>> nitpicks. I don't know if the review process is already defined
>> somewhere, if
>> not it might be worth doing so.
>

> For me, the fundamental issue with it was the design - use tagged
> variants or virtual functions? I agree with you that without a decision
> on that, proceeding with an implementation is not worth the effort.
>
> BTW, one issue is nearing resolution. D will soon provide a dll for
> phobos for Linux, and it is intended to migrate this to all platforms,
> which will resolve the ODR problem.

Well that is nice for you, but for my use cases this will most likely
not work, and thus I'm just going to continue maintaining my own version
of druntime. For example I'm reloading classes at runtime which happens
via a dll. As a result the TypeInfo of that class will exist twice (if
you reload once) because the dll with the new class binary will contain
the new TypeInfo object and thus violating the ODR. For a in depth
explanation see: http://3d.benjamin-thaut.de/?p=25

Kind Regards
Benjamin Thaut