DConf 2013 keynote

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Fri May 10 08:06:22 PDT 2013

Am 10.05.2013 16:29, schrieb H. S. Teoh:
> Yeah, pretty much sums up how I feel about IDEs. But OTOH, the question
> at the end from the professor/lecturer proves that the majority of
> today's coders expect IDEs. I would vote for better education, but you
> can't deny the need for IDEs to at least smooth the transition from
> other languages.

I grew up with IDEs, the first being Turbo Pascal 3.0 foloowed by quite
many variations, including Smalltalk and Lisp environments.

Then I got my first contact with UNIX in 1994 with Xenix, followed by
DG/UX. It was a shock! It felt to me as if I was still in 1970 using the
original UNIX.

> In any case, I totally agree that if a language *needs* an IDE in order
> to cope with the amount of required boilerplate, then something is
> clearly very, very wrong at a fundamental level. I guess that's why I'm
> a D fan. :)

I think the same of any language that needs any form of tooling to make
it better. For example, C requires lint+MISRA C to give the language the
safety I get out of the box with D, Extended Pascal, Modula-2, Ada and
similar.

--
Paulo