DConf 2013 keynote

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri May 10 11:49:42 PDT 2013

On 5/10/2013 4:09 AM, deadalnix wrote:
> One of them is the plane metaphor. I now know that Walter is a big fan of plane
> (and he knows quite a lot about that !) but the problem is that the point is
> very subjective (the plane want to fly).

It's not that subjective. An airplane that "wants to fly" is well known among
airplane designers and pilots. All you have to do is point it down the runway
and open the throttle. It will take off and fly straight and level without any
hands on the controls. An airplane can also endure grevious damage, and still fly.

A helicopter, on the other hand, wants to crash. It requires constant active
efforts to keep it in the air, and if much of anything goes wrong, it will crash
and kill you.

Have you ever driven a high performance car that "wants to go"? I have. The car
clearly isn't happy being driven slowly and gently. It's only happy when your
right foot is mashed all the way down :-)