DConf 2013 keynote

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri May 10 18:41:07 PDT 2013

On Friday, May 10, 2013 17:14:01 H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 05:09:18PM -0700, Walter Bright wrote:
> > On 5/10/2013 4:27 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > >Seriously, D has so spoiled me I can't stand programming in another
> > >language these days. :-P
> >
> > Me too. Sometimes it makes it hard to work on the dmd front end!
>
> Now, *that* is not a good thing at all! When are we going to start
> moving towards bootstrapping D? Did any conclusions ever come of that
> discussion some time ago about how this might impact GDC/LDC?

Daniel Murphy (yebblies) has an automated C++ to D converted for the front-end
that he's been working on (which won't work on general C++ code but works on
the front-end's code), and he's been making pull requests to dmd to adjust the
code so that it's more easily converted. So, once he's done with that, it'll
be trivial to have the same compiler in both C++ and D (with all of the
changes going in the C++ code), and we can maintain it that way until we're
ready to go pure D. And after that, we can start refactoring the D code and
take advantage of what D can do.

- Jonathan M Davis