DConf 2013 keynote

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri May 10 21:45:06 PDT 2013

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 04:52:31AM +0200, Flamaros wrote:
[...]
> I work something like 6 month with Java on a Web server, and the
> pair with Eclipse is nice. Having tools like Unitests well
> integrated or auto-fix suggestion is really great, but that true
> Java just can't leave with a good IDE to generate verbose code. Java
> is also provide with a great Framework and majority of libraries are
> well licensed that help a lot to be productive.

One advantage Java has is widespread adoption and corporate support,
which made it possible to have an extensive standard library (and many
more 3rd party libraries) that can pretty much do anything you want --
you just have to put the pieces together. So in that sense you can get
the job done "faster", because you don't have to keep reinventing the
wheel. D isn't quite there yet, though that should get better once more
people adopt D.

In terms of expressive power within the language itself, though, I think
D is far better.

> Personally I can't be ok with a language that put performances on
> the side, and never allow to access the hardware, but before D a
> choice had to be done on which language is better for our future
> project.

Right, and D is still in development, which makes certain PTBs nervous
about adoption, even if it is actually already production-ready for most
common tasks. But that can only improve as we continue refining the
language.

> For me D joins best of two worlds : productivity and effectiveness.
> This without any other tool than the compiler.

Yes, which is why I love D so much. All I need is a text editor and the
compiler, and I can do everything. Even unittesting and coverage are all
integrated. No need for external tools, no need to install a whole bunch
of support software, all the essentials are bundled with the compiler.
How much more compelling can it get?

"640K ought to be enough" -- Bill G., 1984.
"The Internet is not a primary goal for PC usage" -- Bill G., 1995.
"Linux has no impact on Microsoft's strategy" -- Bill G., 1999.