Migrating D front end to D - post Dconf

David Nadlinger see at klickverbot.at
Sat May 11 10:09:56 PDT 2013

On Saturday, 11 May 2013 at 16:27:37 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Saturday, 11 May 2013 at 16:15:13 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
>> On Saturday, 11 May 2013 at 16:08:02 UTC, deadalnix wrote:

>>> It prevent the use of newer feature of D in phobos.
>>
>> ?!
>>
>> It prevents the use of newer Phobos features in the compiler,
>> but we would obviously use the Phobos version that comes with
>> the host D compiler to compile the frontend, not the version
>> shipping with the frontend.
>>
>> Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I really can't see
>> the issue here.
>>
>> David
>
> No, that is what have been said : you got to fork phobos and
> ship your own with the compiler.

I still don't get what your point is.

To build any D application (which might be a D compiler or not),
you need a D compiler on your host system. This D compiler will
come with druntime, Phobos and any number of other libraries
installed.

Now, if the application you are building using that host compiler
is DMD, you will likely use that new DMD to build a (newer)
version of druntime and Phobos later on. But this doesn't have
anything to do with what libraries of the host system the
application can or can't use.

No fork in sight anywhere.

David